These Paleo Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos taste just like the real thing! Crunchy, spicy, and all around perfect!
Our garden is in the ground! I’m so excited for all the delicious produce coming our way. We ended up adding even more cabbage and broccoli which I couldn’t be more excited for. I can’t wait to see little peppers and tomatoes starting to pop out. I remember last year I couldn’t believe how fast everything grew…one day there was nothing and the next we had like 11 tomatoes. Crazy. Get ready for some amazing tomato recipes this summer. I can’t promise there won’t be a recipe without them.
Apparently you’re supposed to transplant seedlings in the evening so they have time to transition before being out in the hot sun. So before our garden planting party we figured we better have a filling lunch. The bang bang shrimp tacos hit the spot. They taste exactly like the real thing! The shrimp are dusted in tapioca starch and flash fried then drenched in the spicy sweet sauce that I could eat with a spoon. I promise I didn’t though, OK maybe I did but it’s SO good!
The slaw is perfectly crunchy and tangy. The recipe is inspired by one I saw in the Skinnytaste Cookbook while browsing cookbooks at Barnes and Noble a few months back. I don’t remember exactly what was in the slaw but I did remember the cabbage and the dressing was vinegar and honey. Anyways it adds a nice bright crunch to the tacos. Add an extra drizzle of Sriracha and you’re ready to party.
Everything comes together pretty quick as well so it’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
The recipe makes 5 tacos and since I just made this for Alex and I we had a little disagreement on who was going to get the last one. We ended up splitting it. compromise is the root of marriage. Ha! I see us having these way more often in the future!
Looking for a refreshing margarita to pair with these tacos? I’ve got you covered! Check out all of my margarita concoctions here!
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 3.5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, for frying
- 1 cup nappa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- To make the sweet chili sauce combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened. Let cool them mix with mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded nappa cabbage, shredded red cabbage, minced cilantro, and green onions. Toss with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon honey and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- To make the tortillas combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and add a bit of coconut oil or butter to the pan. Pour in 1/5 of the batter at a time and spread out into about a 6" circle. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. The tortillas should be soft and foldable but golden brown. Repeat until you have 5 tortillas and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and melt the coconut oil. Toss shrimp with tapioca until covered and place in skillet. Fry 2 minutes until golden, flip and fry another 2-3 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Toss with Bang Bang sauce.
- To assemble place slaw in tortilla and top with shrimp and a drizzle of Sriracha if desired.
- Slaw adapted from Skinnytaste Cookbook
- Tortillas adapted from Paleo Porn